Sabado, Setyembre 27, 2014

My views on being a Vet...




 Being a veterinarian is not as easy at it may seem...

but it can be as fun as well!  

 

Five years...I'm quite proud to say I have been in the practice for five years now, joining the veterinary profession way back in 2009...and it has been quite a journey.

       
 From the moment I received my license, my first clinic job, followed by two more clinics...the span of five years flew by in a blur as I went through my daily routine. Clinic duty...routine check ups, surgeries, diagnostics, laboratory examinations, emergency procedures...I loved every moment of it! I took every chance to learn from each case, to sharpen my skills and broaden my knowledge about animal diseases, disease diagnosis and proper treatment.

 


Being a veterinarian has indeed changed me, it has affected my views, my principles, my beliefs and outlook in life. Given the chance to be a steward to these adorable and sometimes helpless creatures, I took on the role as care-giver, playmate and friend to these furry pets. And since of course they are not able to express themselves in our terms, special care and understanding has to be given to fully comprehend their conditions...let me tell you, it was not that easy....


    But don't get me wrong...that wasn't  a downside at all, because we Vets   are considered "special" because of that ability: to be able to communicate to animals effectively is a rare talent, some are born with it, while others develop it as they go on. Horse whisperer, dog whisperer, cat whisperer, what ever you would like to call it...that ability is often a much-needed requirement in the veterinary practice. It may seem silly to others but in my opinion, having the ability to understand and to empathize with the animal distinguishes a good veterinarian. 



  Even though being a vet is a very decent and honorable profession...it does have its flaws...just like any other profession it seems.

Though I hate to admit it, the clinic setting is a tough one, a cut-throat set-up of survival of the fittest, or rather, survival of the strongest, both emotionally and physically. In a clinic setting, I found out that it is sometimes hard to separate your emotions and to remain unaffected by things and situations happening around you.


  A beloved pet suddenly becomes sick...a surgery that has to be performed to save a pet's life...the choice of putting down aka euthanasia... emotions and tension can run...and if not held in check, could veer off the wrong direction. And that truth was quite hard for me to take. Studies show that veterinarians are high-risk individuals for depression - owing much to the perception and expectations that we have to meet. It is a stressful and draining job...sometimes reaching to the point where you give until "the well is dry" and despite that still continue to give more....

"Veterinary medicine is more than a career: It is a calling that attracts compassionate individuals who want to help animals stay healthy and to care for those that are ill and injured. The very nature of our profession calls for caring for our clients through their suffering and sorrow, often at our own emotional and physical cost—the “cost of caring,” or compassion fatigue.

 

Compassion fatigue is characterized by a deep physical and emotional exhaustion and a pronounced change in the ability to feel empathy for patients, loved ones, and team members. Marked by increased cynicism at work and a loss of professional enjoyment, it attacks our empathy and compassion for others—likely the very reasons we became veterinary professionals."  (for the full article, go to: http://www.veterinaryteambrief.com/article/compassion-fatigue-cost-caring )

 

"Compassion fatigue"
At first I was utterly clueless what it meant...until I fully understood it and realize that I have been suffering from it for several months before I finally decided to give up and quit my job in a busy city clinic and transferred to a small rural one. It was a hard and painful decision, but it had to be done. I reached the tipping point where I cared so little, it took so much effort to come to work everyday and be a team-player, I was prone to make errors and was not able to finish assigned tasks on time. Eventually, I let the negative feelings and events get the best of me. 

I know it was partly my fault, I know it is cowardly of me that instead of facing the problem head-on, I decided to run away. Looking back, I think what really made a difference is the fact that other veterinarians tend to brush off these concerns as mere over-reactions, they refuse to acknowledge that we are individuals that have different reactions to a similar situation and that we cope in different ways. some believe that we should always be tough and act indifferent to any situation...but that is simply not the case for each and every one of us. 



On the bright side, anyone can recover from compassion fatigue...and companionship and support from others would really help very much.
Our empathic reaction can be tempered by staying detached—keeping an adequate “distance” from those we are helping through their trying experiences by taking breaks during the day, stepping outside the workplace, minding the number of hours we work, or being assertive of how we schedule appointments. Mixing appointments that are likely to be “happier,” such as new puppy/kitten exams or rechecks where we anticipate some therapeutic success, with those that might be more emotionally demanding can give you a “break.” Also, it is important that you figure out what is “yours” to take on in the first place.
Also, simply getting into the habit of pausing to experience the satisfaction of our work can be a tremendous benefit.

As veterinarians, in our quest to help our patients, to heal and to take good care of them, we should never forget to take a step back and remember that there is an ethical mandate to take care of ourselves as well. 



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento